Outdoor Water Use
According to Section 9-3-9 of the City code, all properties connected to the City’s water system are permitted to water outdoors between the following hours, and subject to the odd/even address schedule:
- From 6 a.m. – 9 a.m.
- From 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- All properties with even-numbered street addresses may use water on even-numbered days of the month, and all properties with odd-numbered street addresses may use water on odd-numbered days of the month.
Handheld Hose Watering Anytime
Residents can use a hand-held hose to water flowers, gardens, trees, shrubs, car washing, lawns, and wading pools (50 gallons or less) at any time. This also applies to drip irrigation devices and root feeders.
Sod Laying And Seeded Lawn Installation
Property owners and/or contractors need to complete and submit a permit prior to watering to Administrative Analyst Franco Bottalico and/or Water/Wastewater Superintendent Bob Van Gyseghem. The permit fee is $25 and can be paid by reaching someone at 630-232-1551.
When to water:
- The issuance of a sod laying and seeded lawn installation permit shall allow the permittee to water the newly installed sod or seed utilizing automatic sprinkling device(s) for a period of time not to exceed eight hours on the first day.
- The next nine consecutive days it can be watered from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- After the 10-day period, you must follow the odd/even address schedule for watering listed above.
- Hours must be written on the permit, which must be displayed in the window. A member of the Public Works Department will communicate this information to you.
Waste of Water Prohibited
Water from City water supply allowed to run off into ditched, gutters, inlets and drains during irrigation is strictly prohibited.