The City recognized 11 property owners for their role in preserving Geneva’s historic charm during an award presentation at the May 19 City Council meeting.
Coinciding with National Preservation Month, Geneva handed out its biennial Historic Preservation Awards to honor both small and large projects that exemplify a dedication to our community’s highly-treasured historic character.
“It is my hope these projects will underscore the theme of this year’s Preservation Month by ‘inspiring a new generation to engage’ in the preservation of Geneva’s architectural heritage,” said City Preservation Planner Michael Lambert. “These award recipients have embarked upon efforts that continue to support the preservation of our community’s irreplaceable and historic properties.”
A review panel of three experienced preservation experts selected the following recipients for Geneva’s 2014 Historic Preservation Awards:
Excellence in Exterior Renovation Award
• Carol Boose and Joe Stanton – 1924 Fargo Theatre Building, 315 W. State St.
Excellence in Exterior Renovation & Addition
• Jason and Johanna Patterson – Circa 1910 Bungalow, 522 James St.
Excellence in Exterior Preservation
• Dr. John Cook of Geneva Dental and Joseph McMahon of McMahon Builders – 1852 William Conant House, 127 Hamilton St.
• Eugene and Sally Ruark – 1867 Henry Bennett House, 230 East State St.
• Bonnie Byrne – 1870 Hull-Howell Building, 101 S. Third St.
Excellence in Window Preservation
• Kevin and Lisa Doherty – 1858 Walter-Conant House property, 311 S. First St.
• Owner Patricia Maclachlan and restoration by Jack O’Connell, Paul Davis Restoration – 1906 P.D. Hoyt House, 318 S. Fifth St.
Excellence in Adaptive Use
• Joe Stanton – 515 Hamilton St.
Excellence in Exterior Preservation and Adaptive Use
• Geneva Bank & Trust – 1937 Pure Oil Gasoline Station, 502 W. State St.
• Michael Simon, owner; Dan Marshall, Marshall Architects; Bob Rasmussen, JRD Development – 1918/1926 Tri-City Garage, 11-21 S. Third St.
• Nancy Luyten, owner; Jay Berry, JB Enterprise; and Scott McNee – 1848/1857 George & Eliza Patten House, 124 Second St.
Photos of each property along with detailed descriptions of the completed preservation work can be found on the City’s website (see link below).
During the same meeting, the City also acknowledged the winning entries in the “Wood, Brick & Stone: Seeing & Celebrating Geneva’s Historic Details” Photo Contest. The Historic Preservation Commission challenged Geneva residents to look at their community through a camera lens, examining buildings based on the stated materials. The winning photographers are:
• First Place: Thomas Shockey, Jr. – East View, the iconic Augustus Herrington estate along South First Street;
• Second Place: Elizabeth Knebel – the historic Kane County Courthouse at Third and James streets; and
• Third Place: Thomas Shockey, Jr. – Unitarian Church, 102 S. Second St.
Geneva’s Historic Preservation Commission coordinated the award program along with several activities throughout National Preservation Month. More information can be found on the City’s website.