The downtown business community will again be offering free treats to children from 2 to 5 p.m. Oct. 31. For those looking for a weekend option, Geneva Commons will have trick-or-treating from 3 to 4:30 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 27.
The Geneva Police Department wants all little ghosts, witches and goblins to have a fun and safe Halloween experience this year. Parents should take an active role in this process by making sure their families follow these safety tips:
• Wear light-colored clothing or some type of reflective material for better visibility.
• Ensure costumes fit and are worn in a manner that prevents tripping.
• If children wear masks, make sure they can see clearly and their visibility is not obstructed.
• Small children should always be accompanied by an adult.
• Go out in the daylight when possible and carry a flashlight for use if out after dark.
• Only give and accept wrapped candy.
• Examine all candy before allowing children to eat it.
• Carrying hard props such as swords and daggers should be substituted with soft foam rubber items.
• Stay within familiar neighborhoods.
• Watch for traffic.