Permits, Licenses & Benchmarks

A-Frame Sign Permit

An A-Frame sign permit is required annually prior to displaying an A-Frame sign. Licenses are renewed with each City calendar year, which begins May 1.

Building Permits & Occupancy

Businesses must hold a Certificate of Occupancy (CO) from the Building Division. A CO is granted after final inspection as part of the normal building permit process or if the building does not require work, your CO will be granted after you obtain a Change of Tenant permit (COT). 

Business & Liquor Licenses

Only certain types of businesses are licensed in Geneva; regulations can be found under Title 4 of the Geneva City Code. Business and liquor license applications can be submitted in person with the required attachments to the City Administrator's Office. If you have questions regarding business and liquor license requirements, please contact Jeanne Fornari at 630-938-4544.

Sign Permit Information

The City revised the sign code in 2012 allowing for new sign types. A sign permit is required prior to installing or replacing a business sign. Signage for properties within the Historic District will be reviewed by Michael Lambert, Preservation Planner. Administrative review is allowed for buildings with an approved sign package. 


Surveyors and contractors can view Geneva's Benchmarks/Survey Monument web map online.